A.S.S.G.O

No. 1 Resource made by AS people in the UK!

Social Area

Forum Home > Love and Relationships > Is it possible for us to have successful relationships?

ASSGO Site Managers
Site Owner

I would love to know if anyone on the spectrum can actually have a relationship with another person without major ups and downs due to the Asperger/Autism traits in their partner or themselves?

September 9, 2015 at 9:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

NBrown

Yes it is possible for us autistics to have a successful relationship. I've been in a relationship with a lovely autistic woman for over 2 years and it's my most successful. We live a distance apart and see each other from time to time but we a lot on Facebook and some how it's worked out well. I couldn't be happier :)

--
September 10, 2015 at 6:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tern
Oh plenty do, and plenty others have to watch them do.
September 29, 2015 at 10:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ASSGO Site Managers
Site Owner

what if you've got a difficult independent unique personality as well as Aspergers?

September 30, 2015 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mary Adams

Fuck you em, you whining bitch. Get a life! No one cares about you!

August 1, 2016 at 4:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tern

Mary Adams at August 1, 2016 at 4:39 PM

Fuck you em, you whining bitch. Get a life! No one cares about you!

You's not very nice is you?
December 23, 2016 at 2:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Aspernaut

I do not, in my humble opinion, think it is possible to have a long term relationship with an NT partner.I have spent my whole life hiding in many relationships. The beginning is all sweetnes and light but may a year the little quirks that she found interesting and different start to grate and the only thing keeping us together is just how great it was in the beginning. In the beginning my whole focus was Her and she loved it and said she loved me but as time rolls on my interests diluted my focus and passion for her . I didn't know I was AS and eventually the word weirdo or strange would come up, i couldn't get on with her friends , i would be awkward at parties or family gatherings. it all takes it's toll. I am great on my own but when i'm with someone or partner I just don't know the rules. Eventualy I have to get out, it all becomes too difficult.

March 16, 2017 at 11:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Bendigedig

Hi,

Im 43.  I recieved an Aspergers diagnosis a few years ago but Ive always been "different".

i met my wife when I was 19.  Weve been togther ever since with our ups and our downs.  We have an 11 yr old son.  He also has an Aspergers diagnosis.

Do I think its possible for people with an ASD/C diagnosis to have a "relationship"?

Yes, I do. :)

Much of course is largely dependant on a variety of factors.  Factors which are hugely varied.  

If all is right and the wind is in the right direction though, why should thier be any issues?   

If sombody has a desire to be with somone else and this is reciprocal, then more often than not those people woll be together despite most difficulties that they encounter.

Is it easy...... Er, no.    It never ever is easy, especially if youve got a load of baggage and a predisposition to focus on the things that an Aspergic or ASD/C mind tends to make you focus on.  

We are all intrinically different and as individual as the next person though despite unhelpful media stereotypes etc.  As a consequence we are statistically likely to encounter at least one person in our lifetime out of the seven or so billion people on the planet who might want to " be with us"

thats how I look at it anyway :)

March 27, 2017 at 9:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Ed

Does anyone ever visit here any more?   Wish I could find someone in my tribe and age group to share things with - Any ideas how to find someone would be constructive  

--

infp_ed1950

November 25, 2017 at 7:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.